- 1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups (170 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounce (113 grams) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups (275 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Zest (outer skin) of one lemon or orange (optional)
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven rack in center of oven.
- Butter and flour (or spray with a non stick spray that contains flour) a 10 inch (25 cm) bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer (with the paddle attachment), or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually add the sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Continue beating on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Add the vanilla and lemon zest and beat until incorporated.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour mixture, in three additions, and mix just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 55 - 70 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 20 - 30 minutes so it has time to set. Remove the cake from the pan to finish cooling. This cake will keep about 3 to 4 days at room temperature and about one week in the refrigerator. Can also be frozen.