150 grams sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
90 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
135 grams granulated white sugar
3 large egg yolks (110 grams)
120 ml milk (full fat or reduced fat)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter and flour (or spray with a non stick vegetable/flour spray) two 6" x 2" (15 x 5 cm) cake pans.
- In a bowl sift or whisk the flour with the baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft and creamy (about 1-2 minutes). Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes). Add egg yolks, in two batches, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture (in three additions), and milk (in two additions), beginning and ending with the flour.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared pans, smoothing the tops with an offset spatula or back of a spoon. Bake 22 to 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake just comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
- Place the cakes on a wire rack to cool, in their pans, for about 10 minutes. Then invert the cakes onto a greased rack. To prevent cracks, reinvert cakes so that tops are right side up. Cool completely before frosting.
For any frosting decorations, refer to this. Halved the SMBC recipe for this yellow butter cake.