6 large eggs
1 egg white (30 grams) (optional)
2 1/4 cups (225 grams) sifted cake flour
1 1/2 cups (300 grams) caster sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pandan essence
1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable, corn, canola, or safflower oil
3/4 cup (180 ml) coconut milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Separate the eggs while they are still cold. Place the egg yolks in one bowl and the whites (along with the extra egg white) in another. Cover with plastic wrap and bring to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C) and have ready a 10 inch (25 cm) two piece ungreased tube pan.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, (or use a hand mixer) place the flour, sugar (minus 1/4 cup (50 grams)), baking powder, salt, and orange zest. Beat until combined. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg yolks, oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth (about one minute). Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup (50 grams) of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. With a large rubber spatula or wire whisk, gently fold the egg whites (in three additions) into the batter just until blended (being careful not to deflate the batter).
- Pour the batter into the ungreased tube pan and bake for about 55 to 60 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (When lightly pressed, the cake will spring back). Immediately upon removing the cake from the oven invert (turn upside down) the pan and place on a bottle or flat surface so it is suspended over the counter. Let the cake cool completely before removing from pan (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours).
- To remove the cake from the pan, run a long metal spatula around the inside of the tube pan and center core. Invert onto a greased wire rack.
Serves 8-10 people.