I usually store my buttercream in ready to pipe for storing in fridge for 3 days maximum or for same day later use.
**Note: I doubled recipe for the illustrations above. The below ingredients is sufficient for a fully creamed 7" rainbow cake.**
Ingredients:2 large egg whites
115 grams sugar
Pinch of salt
2 sticks (226 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g cream cheese block (for this recipe size) **optional**
- To make the frosting, combine the egg whites, sugar and salt in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture reaches 70°C or if the sugar has dissolved. You will know when the mixture isn't gritty.
the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk
Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and the mixture has cooled to room temperature, about 8 minutes.
the speed to medium and add the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, adding
more once each addition has been incorporated. If the frosting looks
soupy or curdled, continue to beat on medium-high speed until thick and
smooth again, about 3-5 minutes more (don’t worry, it will come
together!) Stir in the vanilla extract and mix just until incorporated.
- Keep buttercream at room temperature if using the same day, or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month. Before using, bring to room temperature and beat with paddle attachment on low speed until smooth again, about 5 minutes.
If you wish to include cream cheese in your SMBC - steps are as follows:
- In a separate clean bowl, whip cream cheese till light and smooth.
- Add SMBC in 5 separate portions into cream cheese whipping well after each addition.
- Store well in an airtight container and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 1 month if you are not using on the same day. Before using, thaw till room temperature and whip till smooth consistency.